Head of programme
Data science expertise applied to finance
The financial industry has a major need for professionals with data science skills, but it is crucial for financial institutions to have data scientists who also have the latest financial skills in the broadest sense.
They need to master a wide range of skills from market finance to corporate finance as well as insurance. They have to be operational as soon as they accept the positions so that they can offer genuine, immediate value to the company. It’s this need that the MSc Finance & Big Data at NEOMA Business School responds to.
After earning the MSc Finance & Big Data, our graduates will be prepared to put into practice their technical skills in big data processing, applied to market forecasts, portfolio allocation, market/credit risk management and operational risk. They will have access to data scientist positions in front and middle office teams for company divisions that handle trading, risk-management, IT, investment bank compliance divisions, funds management and insurance companies as well as specialised financial consulting firms.
5 good reasons to join the programme
A promising and expanding market: the financial, banking, insurance and consulting sectors have a major need for data scientists
The MSc received the 2020 Eduniversal ranking introductory award for the best Masters, AM and MBA
An innovative training course in direct contact with the latest developments in data science applied in the financial sector and its related branches that will help learners become real specialists who can be immediately effective in the jobs
A teaching approach based on learning by doing: trading room simulations, project management, direct skills application
A work-linked training programme that boosts entry in the professional world and tuition funding assured through professionalisation contracts
The Master of Science Finance & Big Data consists of seven modules that combine know-how and interpersonal skills. The skills taught in this programme enable learners to become experts in specialised financial engineering applied to big data processing where the graduates will master theoretical and operational aspects of data science applied to finance.
In addition to this imparted knowledge, many different professional skills are put into practice so that the students can be immediately effective at their companies.
This programme enables students to:
- Master the programming languages used in data processing.
- Analyse and manage financial data.
- Master the valuation concepts for financial products.
- Apply the acquired data science techniques in real situations.
- Independently manage a project requiring big data extraction and processing skills.
The MSc Finance & Big Data is intended for students and professionally active managers who want to undertake additional training and specialise in all the professions associated with data science applied to the financial sector. Its part-time schedule is compatible with professional activity.
All of this programme’s courses are taught completely in English.
The MSc Finance & Big Data programme is based on four skill fields:
- Identify and promote companies, sectors and/or markets with high potential for added-value creation in France and abroad
- Make or support decisions concerning financial investments in France and/or abroad while overseeing associated risk control
- Guide financial decisions and associated risks using financial-decision analysis and monitoring tools
- Create and implement data-based descriptive and forecast models to facilitate the financial analysis of companies, sectors and/or markets
This programme is accessible via the « VAE » (awarding a qualification based on relevant professional experience).
Exploration of big data through simulations and practical studies that companies present during the courses.
BIG DATA APPLICATION IN FINANCE
Digital methods and AI in the following areas:
- Portfolio allocation
- Financial market forecast models
- Detecting market sentiment
- Algorithmic trading
- High-Frequency Trading
The professional thesis is a project whose purpose is to identify an issue important to companies and respond to it by using a conceptual approach and empirical research. This project must lead to practical recommendations for companies. Its additional purpose is to help students acquire technical expertise while also developing important soft skills for the job market: critical thinking, complex problem resolution, etc.
The programme is recognised through a dual validation:
- Ongoing assessment: evaluations conducted throughout the length of the programme in the form of individual or collective reports to be submitted
- A professional thesis: submission of a written document and an oral defence before a jury made up of 2 tutors and the programme directors
At the end of the programme and after a validation of the ongoing assessment and professional thesis, the Level-7 RNCP of International Financial Analyst, Strategy and Financial Management degree is awarded to the participants.
If some modules were not validated and thus no credits were earned, the programme participant can redo the evaluation during a period set up for this purpose.
The part-time format allows you to remain at your company and promotes your entry and development in the professional world
- Data Scientist
- Quantitative Analyst
- Quantitative Trader
- Portfolio Manager
- Chief Data Officer
- Risk Manager
- Credit Analyst
Our graduates will be prepared to put into practice their technical skills in Big Data processing, applied to:
- Market forecasts,
- Portfolio allocation,
- Market/credit risk management
- Operational risks
They will have access to data scientist positions in front office and middle office teams for company divisions that handle trading, risk-management, IT, investment bank compliance, funds management and insurance companies as well as specialised financial consulting firms.
Our students positioned in companies
80% of students from the class of 2021 have professionalisation contracts.
They have positions at the following companies: AMUNDI ASSET MANAGEMENT – BNP PARIBAS – CNP ASSURANCES – CREDIT MUTUEL – EDF – ENGIE GLOBAL MARKETS – GIE LA MONDIALE GROUPE – NATIXIS INVESTMENT – SOCIETE GENERALE – SWISS LIFE ASSET MANAGERS
Data soon available
(out of 5)
Data soon available
Average job search time (month)
Data soon available
Insertion rate at 6 months
Three minutes to apply to MSc Finance & Big Data programme – advice from Coline Berthier, Recruitment and Class Manager
This programme is intended for young graduates who want to develop a specialisation or earn a double skill and professionals who want to complement their skills.
We accept applications from students holding one of the following diplomas :
- Engineering degree accredited by the « Commission des Titres d’Ingénieur » (CTI list)
- Degree from a Management School accredited to deliver the national « Grade de Master » (CEFDG list)
- Postgraduate degree accredited by university authorities (DEA, DESS, Master’s degree, etc.) or a professional Master diploma
- 4-year Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Level-7 & level-6 RNCP certification
- International degree equivalent to the required French degrees noted above
This programme is accessible to people with disability.
1st step: Application
You need to fill out the application online.
You must include the required documents:
- Two letters of recommendation
- Marks from your last two academic years
- Level of English*
*If the applicant does not have results from an English exam, the recruitment manager can have the applicant take an online test.
The selection jury will decide on an applicant’s admissibility after reviewing their application.
The applications must be finalised no later than ten days before the date of the interview.
2nd stage: Admission tests
Applicants deemed admissible after review of their applications then have a motivation interview.
Definitive admission is announced to each applicant at the end of these two stages and within seven days following the date of the motivation interview.
The motivation interviews are held one or two times per month from January to July according to the calendar below.
The motivation interviews for the school year starting October 2021 will be held on:
- Friday 23rd April
- Thursday 6th and 27th May
- Thursdays 10th and 24th June
- Thursdays 1st and 13th July
- Thursday, September 2nd
Application fees: €100